Thursday 27 November 2008

Thanksgiving '08

Today was cool. I am very thankful that I have a family that puts up with me. I am the first one to admit that I am not entirely "normal", and may surpass abnormal as well. So thanks Mom, Dad and Lisa!

I headed north to spend the holiday with my family, blood and extended. TJ, Cadence is awesome, even at the age of 2! I imagine you'll have a lot to deal with over the years, and I think you'll do well. Mom, dinner was super fantastic, thank you so much! Now I'm back home, and have been for a few hours now. I had been planning on staying the night up there, but I just felt like coming home. That kinda threw everyone for a loop, but I just felt like it. Now I'm curious about something.

I traveled 93 miles on one eight of a tank of gas. I averaged 73 mph for the duration of the trip. Having done the math, that should mean that if I traveled nonstop, averaging 73 mph, I should get 744 miles on one tank of gas... ... ... Now, considering engine temperature, ambient temperature, random circumstance and traveling alone, I can safely say that I don't get 744 miles out of one tank of gas in my current car. Keep in mind though, that I surpassed that number in my Jetta TDI when I got 798 miles from one tank of diesel (tank capacity of 13 gallons, same size as my current GTI's tank). Something is very wrong with this. As fuel burns at the same rate, regardless of how much is in the tank. And figuring that the weight of the car is decreased upon every gallon of fuel burned. Every fuel saving guide says to remove all the unnecessary weight from your vehicle. One gallon of gas weighs approximately 7 pounds. So a full tank of gas in my car weighs 91 lbs. So when I only have 1 gallon, I should get way better mileage than I do when I have 13 gallons, right? Well I figure that the average weight of useless stuff in any given car (minus people who carry a full set of golf clubs around in the trunk), is only about 9 lbs., just over the weight of one gallon of gasoline. By removing said weight, I'd get an additional 14 miles per tank. Why doesn't that work when there is no unnecessary weight in my car to begin with, but I burn off much more weight than 9 lbs every time I go through a full tank of gas, while not adding any additional weights, or driving any differently?

Ponder that for a while, I'm going to bed now. It was good seeing familiar faces today, and a new one. Love, peace and patience to all, and especially the next generation!

3 comments:

eristar said...

Well, you lost me along about the first 744 miles...(If a train leaves New York at 4:23 AM....) but in any event, I'm glad you were able to join us for Thanksgiving, if only for a short while! Assuming we don't have any unexpected overnight guests in the meantime, the clean sheets will still be on the bed come Christmas!ENEUVI!!!(Someone who is bored past ennui??)

Lisa said...

Yup, and Thanksgiving totally rocked this year! It was great to see you. I think I can safely say that a good time was had by all.

What is with these security words lately? Today's word:

panic. PANIC!!! Oh, wait, no, DON'T panic. Right.

teej said...

thanks, Dave! Cadence really seemed to enjoy you as well! It was great to see you.

PRATO (how Plato said his name- few know he had a speech impediment.)